Tuesday 6 November 2012

To the poet a thousand years thence


I who am alive a thousand years,
After messages you passed along,
Confirm hereby I have gotten,
Your beautiful archaic song.
The seas and skies are still rough,
But much easier than thence through to ride;
Communication is in seconds,
Between worlds you knew were once far and wide.

On a much grander scale the prayers,
And ideas of evil and good prevail;
But for simply labeling them foolish,
One can foolishly be sent to jail.

There are more statutes today,
And more consummate palaces that outshine;
But less of  love and music felt to the bone,
Without the heavy load of our wine.
Oh friend unseen, dead, but known,
Teacher of our sweet English tongue;
I read out your words at night, alone:
I am a poet, I am young.
I saw a portrait of your face,
A statute the test of space and  time that stood;
Your greetings I have received,
And I think your message I have understood.




[This is a reply to James Elroy Flecker's POEM ]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Κερκυρα

 In the wilderness of the green lush trees, Between the sea and the hills; Mighty Poseidon of the seas - Upon the dazzling beauty of Kerkyra...